Trainees will be able to name the principle environmental mastitis pathogens, the basic epidemiology of these infections and the key areas of control.
- Define mastitis
- Be able to recognise mastitis/use a CMT
- List the main bovine mammary gland defences against mastitis – Anatomical, immunological and physical
- Name the principle environmental mastitis pathogens, S. Uberis, E. coli
- Calculate the economic cost of mastitis
- Appreciate the welfare cost of mastitis
- Describe the basic epidemiology of environmental mastitis – Milking time infections / Inter – milking infections / Dry period infections
- Describe the impact of environmental conditions on mastitis rates with respect to: Ventilation/humidity, Bedding type and quality, Stocking rate, Dry off management.
- Name the critical control points of environmental mastitis control: Reducing environmental challenge / Optimising immune function / Milking machine and routine / Dry cow therapy.
Find a workshop in your area HERE
Why not take a look at some of our useful YouTube videos (more available on the Farmers Weekly YouTube channel)